ARA's Top Ten Truths About Public Radio
1. Programming causes audience
2. Listeners choose programming that resonates with their values, interests, and beliefs.
3. Listeners develop loyalty to a station with consistent appeal.
4. Appeal can transcend program genres and format types.
5. The programming most often chosen by public broadcasters appeals most strongly to well-educated Americans.
6. Public radio listeners generally perceive themselves to be citizens of the world.
7. Public service begets public support.
8. Fundraising is the catalyst that triggers giving, but personal importance and reliance are their primary causes.
9. Listeners trust public radio to be their sanctuary from commercialism.
10. Public support begets public service.